Tuesday, July 8, 2014

Life Cycle of a Butterfly {Day 7}

I've named our three caterpillars "Eeny, Miney and Mo."  They are chowing down and growing!  I believe that 2 of the caterpillars have made it to the Second Instar, but I'm not sure.  The tiny one (the one that came from the egg) is still in it's First Instar.

Second Instar (I think)
ISO 800 ~ 60mm ~ f/5.6 ~ 1/80 sec
© Corrie M. Avila

Peek A Boo!

ISO 500 ~ 60mm ~ f/5.0 ~ 1/100 sec
© Corrie M. Avila

What are Instars you ask?  Well, they are the 5 stages that the caterpillar goes through as it grows and sheds it's skin.  The larval stage lasts about 14 days.  So if I calculate things right, we should have 3 nicely formed chrysalides (I had to google the plural of chrysalis, who knew?) by next Tuesday.  That's a lot of chomping to do between now and then!

Milkweed for Lunch
ISO 500 ~ 60mm ~ f/5.0 ~ 1/60 sec
© Corrie M. Avila

The Monarch Caterpillar has a 90% mortality rate of reaching adulthood (Butterfly).  I'm just trying to do my part to help preserve this beautiful butterfly <3

This was From our Last Grouping of Monarchs
ISO 200 ~ 60mm ~ f/5.0 ~ 1/320 sec
© Corrie M. Avila

Capturing the Moment,

Corrie <3

No comments:

Post a Comment