Wednesday, August 29, 2012

First Bald Eagle Sighting of the Fall...

Signs of fall in Northern Virginia include cooler evenings, the leaves starting to change, and American Bald Eagle activity.

I've lived in my house for two years now, but it wasn't until last fall that I noticed I had American Bald Eagles that liked to hang out in a tree behind my house.  I live along an inlet of the Potomac River and it is mostly marsh back there.  When I first saw the pair, I ran into my house, grabbed my camera, and took about 200 photos (no exaggeration).  I think it was partly because I thought this was a one time shot.  But I began keeping an eye out for them and was honored to see them often throughout the fall and the winter months (and of course had many photo ops in there too).

Last fall I saw the pair for the first time, and as the days shifted more towards the winter I usually would just see one.  After researching more about them, I learned that they lay their eggs in the Dec/Jan time frame ~ so it makes sense that once the eagles are nesting, one of the eagles will usually always be on the nest.  The thing I find most amazing about these magnificent birds is that American Bald Eagles mate for life with one partner.  How amazing is that?!?  In a society where divorce has become the norm, these beautiful birds stay with one another until one of them dies.  Here is a photo of the pair I took in November of 2011.

Pair of American Bald Eagles © Corrie M Avila

Nature photography is different than portrait photography.  Photographing in nature requires patience and precision.  Many times you have to anticipate where your subject will be.  Learn the patterns and habits of the creature you are photographing.  Another tip I've learned is that if you miss your chance the first time, be patient, because many times you will get additional opportunities to get that perfect shot.  Here are a few additional photos I've taken of the American Bald Eagles taken over the past year.


© Corrie M Avila

© Corrie M Avila

© Corrie M Avila

I had my first American Bald Eagle sighting of the season yesterday.  There was one soaring up high over the trees.  She was beautiful, carefree, and magnificent.  I can't wait for more fall photography, including these beautiful birds.

Happy Shooting <3

Corrie



No comments:

Post a Comment